A lot of people rack their brains over trying to find the perfect substitute for shredded chicken/pork and my friend, I am here to tell you that you can end your search because in comes jackfruit to save the day!!! Jackfruit has a "scary" resemblance to chicken (I mean I was freaked out the first time I used it) and because of it's unique texture and neutral flavor when in its unripened state, it makes the perfect substitute for chicken/pork. Those days of missing out on favorites like pulled chicken/pork sliders are over with, with this jackfruit recipe and because jackfruit is so versatile, the possibilities are endless! See the recipe below to learn how I use jackfruit to make an ole time favorite that you are sure to love!
1 cans of young Jackfruit in brine (I get mine from Trader Joe's)
1 small-medium sized red onion
Garlic powder or 3-4 cloves of freshly minced garlic
Cooking oil of choice (I use grapeseed oil)
Barbecue sauce of choice (I use Kingsford Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce)
Vegan hamburger buns or choice of bread/buns
*This recipe makes about 4-6 sliders
1. Take 1 can of young jackfruit, open it and drain the liquid.
2. Pour jackfruit onto a plate or bowl and separate the jackfruit seed pods from the jackfruit flesh (this step is optional as the seeds are edible).
3. Preheat a large sized skillet over medium heat and add about 2-3 tablespoons of oil to it.
4. While skillet is preheating, chop up your onion.
5. Add the jackfruit, chopped onions, garlic and desired amount of barbecue sauce to the jackfruit mixture (I like to use a lot of sauce), and let simmer for about 10 minutes for the flavors to set in.
6. While the jackfruit is simmering, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
7. After about 10 minutes, transfer the jackfruit to a flat baking pan and spread out evenly.
8. Bake the jackfruit (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes (this helps create a meatier texture)
9. After baking for about 15-20 minutes, pull out the burger buns and pile them high with the pulled barbecue jackfruit, top with pickles and coleslaw and enjoy!!! Feel free to add more barbecue sauce as well if desired.
*Serve with oven baked fries
And there you have you it! the perfect vegan barbecue pulled chicken/pork sandwich!!!!! Can't wait for you guys to try this recipe and be blown away!!!!